Dave Bullock / eecue

photographer, director of engineering: crowdrise, photojournalist, hacker, nerd, geek, human


got my home control web interface working!

thanks to inspiration from arclight... i decided to set up my X10 home control again. instead of using the more complicated 2 way system i had before i opted to use the firecracker module and the bottlerocket software package.

using ssh tunnels from my home unix box behind the firewall here to connect to my webserver and open a reverse tunnel back to the unix box in my house, and setting up keys that can only execute the scripts i wrote with bottle rocket, i created a php script that check the authorization and makes sure it's me logged in it allows you to turn on and off my office and living room lights or all of them at once.

wow that was a long run-on sentance.



Earth Simulator

On my last day in japan, after coming back from Hong Kong and staying up all night to ward off jet lag I made my journey by train to visit the World?s fastest supercomputer. I had emailed the general contact address before I left for Japan and I had tried to arrange a tour. I hadn?t heard back from my contact at the Japanese government run Earth Sciences Department, but finally in Hong Kong I got an email asking me when I could make it down. I told them that I would have maybe half an hour to visit with them while I was back in japan and that it would be cutting it very close.


Hong Kong

At the end of my Japan trip, I was flown to Hong Kong for business. Our company just recently opened a branch in Asia for production. The production facility is over in the mainland of china in the special economic zone. We have a small office in a nice office building in Hong Kong that manages the production facility and is in charge of logistics.


japan is the shit....

more new pictures and two long articles are up on my jp site:

check it out here!!!!



irma's tokyo

I took the bullet train to Tokyo. It was an interesting trip and i enjoyed two japanese lunch boxes while i relaxed in a comfortable chair. My lunch boxes consited of osaka style sushi which is sushi that is formed into rectangles. When i arrived in Tokyo i jumped on the orange train and rode it to the Ebisu station. It was pretty painless and i had no trouble finding the station thanks to the english/japanese digital displays on the top of each door. Once i arrived at Ebisu i called my contact Irma. She said to look for a short hispanic girl dressed in brown. i told her to look for the biggest gaijin she could find and that would be me. I saw her walking between the moving sidewalks and i bowed and handed her a gift of mochi and bean candies.


breechan's japan

Last night i left the comfort of Bree-chan's japan. Bree was an amazing guide and a generous host. Our exploits ranged from the ancient Temples of Kyoto to the shores of Kobe. What made my time with Bree special was the fluency in japanese that bree posesses. Her perfect grasp of the Kansai dialect allowed her an inside view into the culture of japan. It all culimnated on the last day of my time with bree. We went to her favorite bar in the small farming village she lives in.


call me on my japanese cell phone!!!

here is the number:


just remember the 17 hour time difference!


inside a cigarette vending machine in japan with vending machine servicer

Hello From Osaka!!!!

Hello folks,

I'm here in Osaka... i spent most of today wandering around alleys of the city... everytime i look up i am reminded of Lain. Today as well as the next two days are the biggest holiday of the year so just about everything is closed... everything except food stands and arcades... and this internet cafe that i'm in now... go figure.

i played some pachinko. i also played a really cool first person shooter called World Battle. This is very cool and i was doing pretty good... i even attracted a bit of a crowd. Although i did end up spending about 1000 Yen on it... which is about 10 bucks.

Last night (New Years Eve) I went to a party in Osaka at club evo. It was pretty fun. When i first arrived i heard drum'n'bass playing so i happily paid my 30,000 ($28) and went down stairs. Unfortunatly the dnb was only playing in the front room and nobody was dancing. oh well i still had fun and met a bunch of cool japanese people. i also danced my ass off... more than i had danced in about a year... and it was to techno hahah.

My hotel is very nice and pretty much western... although it has a bidet and a really deep shower... but at least i have my own bathroom.

today for lunch i had my favorite... Tako Yaki .... mmmm good stuff! it's a little chunk of octopus inside a tasty dumpling cover with sweet sauce, mayo (eww i could have done without the mayo) and bonito (dried fish flakes) it appears to be alive because the bonito writhes in the heat.

i was really hoping to find a wireless network that was open so i could surf for free... but all the wireless networks i found that were open, assigned me an ip and then had no route to the internet.

I have uploaded all the pictures i've taken so far and they can be found here:


yes i did a whole site just for my journey.

enjoy the pics.

updates to follow...